Friday, October 4, 2013

Hiking, Missing Home, and Finding Strength

 I've lived in Husn for two weeks now. And for those two weeks I've been struggling to find my place in this town. I'm a stranger and a foreigner, I don't know anyone. Most of my interactions happen with shopkeepers. Though, increasingly I've been spending time with the other girls at the YWCA. It's still not the same as knowing the place where I live though. I've been a bit homesick this week. I miss my friends. I miss my family. I miss sitting in coffee shops. I miss going out with my friends. I miss having easy opportunities to meet and interact with new people.

Last night was a particularly bad night. I made the mistake of watching the groups of young men hanging out in town, there were no women out, I was jealous of their freedom. Today, I spent the morning reading and drinking tea, still feeling mildly stifled. I decided to go on a hike to feel more independent. So, I put on my hiking boots and trekked up the hill. I took a big road that I've been told leads from oil fields in Iraq to ports in Israel/Palestine. In total I was out for less than two hours, but it did the trick. Standing on the crest of the hill, with the wind billowing around me, I felt freer. I felt like I could do anything. Even the stares from the passengers in the cars driving by couldn't dampen the feeling. I was doing something by myself and proving my ability, strength, and independence to myself in the process.


The hike reminded me of why I love doing what I do. I love getting to see new places and to try to understand them. I love the chance to get to know people and to start to learn their stories. And to hopefully have a positive influence in the midst of all of that. Yes, some days it's hard, and sometimes I want to do go home and be somewhere familiar, but really, I would not give this opportunity up for anything.

2 comments:

  1. How to not be a stranger in a strange land is a lifelong lesson you seem to be learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your students in a picture. For some reason you all look really kickass!

    -Marcus Ford

    ReplyDelete