Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Traveling During a Travel Alert

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post, since then I'd be able to announce that I have one week until I leave for Jordan, but I figured I should probably address the embassy closures and travel alerts recently instated by the US Department of State. These events have not had an effect on my travel plans. I am still going to Lancaster for Orientation on the 14th, and I am flying to Jordan on the 21st. I received my ticket yesterday, I am officially flying from the Philadelphia Airport to Amman with a brief layover in London, England (Heathrow). I leave Philly at 6PM on the 21st, and will arrive in Jordan at 4PM Jordanian Time (9AM EDT time) on the 22nd.

In short, the US government issued a worldwide travel alert for all Americans and temporarily closed a number of embassies and consulates in response to threats of terrorist attacks. These actions were taken as a cautionary measure, in order to keep Americans traveling, working, and living abroad safe. The travel alert does not mean that Americans cannot travel internationally at this time. It just means that Americans need to take caution, and should register with the government, so that the government has a record of their travel and can contact them in case of emergency. The travel alert is set to last until August 31st, so I will be traveling during this alert. The US has temporarily closed at least 25 diplomatic posts throughout the Middle East and Africa. The embassy in Amman, Jordan is closed but is set to reopen on Saturday, August 10th, along with many others in the Middle East. The embassy should be open by the time I arrive in Amman on August 22nd.

I appreciate prayers and well wishes during this uncertain time, for my safety, for the safety of other travelers, and for the safety of all the civilians who are just trying to live their normal lives despite the turbulence around them. Pray for peace and understanding.

8 comments:

  1. Stay safe and save the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bet is anonymous is linda -m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you lady! You are destined for greatness. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be praying for your safe return! It's great that you want to make such a difference in the world. I just wish you could make the difference in the USA. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not only a minor bit of work. This is beyond all that. This is greatness.
    free walking tour stockholm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been looking for such an amazing web journal like this for quite a while.
    http://www.stockholmfreetour.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes gigantic learning to deliver this bit of craftsmanship.
    travel nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the trickier parts of applying is establishing proof of residence. On the application, you will see that it asks for both your permanent address and present address. india visa online

    ReplyDelete