Saturday, September 14, 2013

I apologize for how long it's taken me to post, I've had some computer problems. My computer suddenly started running really slowly, I've run a scan to check for viruses but nothing's come up. It's running faster now that it was earlier this week. I'm hoping that this is a sign that it'll fix itself and I won't have to take it somewhere to get fixed. Currently, I'm borrowing Caleb's computer so that I can Skype with my parents soon (Happy 71st Birthday, Dad!).

It's been about two weeks since I last posted right? Last week was pretty quiet. A lot of studying at the house. This past week though was just filled with adventures.

I've attended two different Churches here in Amman. One service is in English for Westerners. It's a more liturgical service and they use a mix of hymns and worship music. It's nice to be able to understand what's happen in the service, though between that service and my Arabic lessons the vast majority of people I talk to on a regular basis are expats. I was able to attend an Arabic service that one of my friends goes to. It was a very fun upbeat service, with worship music and live English translations of the sermon and prayers. I recognized some of the songs and tried to at least hum along to the words. My Arabic skills are now quite good enough for me to sing along yet, though.

On Monday, the Country Reps took Caleb and I up to Irbid. It's about an hour and a half drive north of Amman, up and down hills the whole way. It was a fun ride, especially since it was my first trip out of the city, my first time seeing what other parts of Jordan are like. Irbid is a bit greener and definitely flatter than Amman. Which is nice because I'm getting tired of walking up and down hills all the time. I got to visit the Arab Episcopal School and meet some of the teachers and the German Volunteers. I'm going to be working with 1st and 2nd graders, which I'm looking forward to. While there we stopped by the YWCA. I was given a tour and received the key to my room!

I will write more later, I have to get ready to go to a concert now!

No comments:

Post a Comment